Units freezing near 7-stacks

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

vorius
Lt. Colonel

Units freezing near 7-stacks

Post by vorius »

I have problems in my games where I have a 7-stack army fortify a city or position and then I need to move units passed them... many times when I do this the units just freeze and never continue to move through and past the position containing the 7-stack army.

Its not consistent though, and sometimes I can just repeat the order and they will proceed. But its very hard to manage because I cant babysit all these movements all the time and keep repeating orders.

Is this just a bug in the game or is there some way I can get around this (without moving my 7-stack army who have developed a nice entrench bonus).

Would it make a big difference if perhaps I used a 6-stack instead and moved several units past them?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Sorry, no idea.I havent run into this.

There is a strange "roadblock" like effect that sometimes stops units when their move order has them move thru an airstrip.Could never figure out why though, as it happens even with no units in the airstrip.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Having more than 7 units in a hex is supposed to create slowdown but the units should not stop. We've not gotten documentation of any major problems with the movement through stacks but it is possible there are some glitches there. What kinds of units are entrenched and what are you trying to move through?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
vorius
Lt. Colonel

Post by vorius »

Balthagor wrote:Having more than 7 units in a hex is supposed to create slowdown but the units should not stop. We've not gotten documentation of any major problems with the movement through stacks but it is possible there are some glitches there. What kinds of units are entrenched and what are you trying to move through?
I was playing Central America campaign as Costa Rica and the terrain was alot of close combat hexes and mountainous. I had a city I entrenched with 7 units- 3 light infantry, 3 artillery and 1 AA. I also assigned them all to group I and had them entrench a small town near my border with Nicaragua to the north.

when war was declared I left those units there and selected a groupof infantry and artillery from my capital and had them all move to a position past the entrenched town.

I watched as the game generated green arrows for them which followed the road through that entrenched town and to the position I selected and I watched the units travel along the road and once they reached the entrenched town they froze. The green arrows remained, indicating they still had their orders to move to the position beyond the town, but they just refuse to move. I selected a few of the units individually and repeated the move and some did move ahead others moved a very short distance close to the entrenched town and froze again.

this was not the only instance during this game. it happened on other towns that i had 7 units entrench a town along a road and tried to send units through and beyond them. I cannot reproduce it 100% though with concrete step-by-step instructions, or at least I have not yet figured out how.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This sort of thing should get some review in the beta for Supreme Ruler 2020. In the case you're describing there should be bottlenecks, but at least one or two units should be constantly getting through. Precise recreate in SR2010 is not very important as no more work is being done on that project.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”