Not a fan of this screenshot.

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

I thought this was going to be changed into graphics that suit the interface.The pictures of real humans don't suit the look of the game, in my humble opinion.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/20 ... een005.jpg
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

EDIT: oops I posted my text under wrong thread. Has been removed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: herr neumann on 2004-04-08 00:10 ]</font>
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

The issue is have the talent and time to CG different characters... It definitely won't be changed on the beta and it just depends on if we're able to come up with something more suitable.
Empier4552
General

Post by Empier4552 »

I thought Strategy First was lending Graphics Artists to help you guys speed up on things like this?
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

SF have been great about helping with the graphics for the UI but we've hesitated to ask them for help with this kind of extra content. Our fall back position is to use real pictures, (and we've had a lot of people like that idea since they could MOD them) but we'll see what else we can come up with.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

FYI... Updating the Cabinet Minister pictures will probably be the last thing done in development. Other than making the screen a little better appealing (along with some of ministers) I did want an opinion on this page...

Who wants Real Pictures (and then I'll probably ask anybody on the forum that looks good in a tie or uniform for a picture we can use) and who wants us to use CG pics for the cabinet? Either way, they will be modable.
Ashbery76
Major

Post by Ashbery76 »

The gamespy preview gave an interesting screenshot of the dimplomacy, but look at the dimplomats on it, they look totally out of place IMO.
http://pcmedia.gamespy.com/pc/image/apr ... 04_003.jpg
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

I really dont have any strong opinions on this,i dont have a problem with the "real" pictures and I wouldnt have a problem with "cartoon" pics either.

As long as what was said earlier about being able to put our own versions of "pictures" of advisors in, it doesnt really matter to me one or another.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

I would rate this sort of thing as "put it to the music" if you know what I mean.

Im not that much offended by the "real" looking humans in the "cartoon" world and I can understand BGs position that it is simply easier to use photos than to paint charactars that would fit.
R0B3E
Warrant Officer

Post by R0B3E »

I don't mind the photos, and I'm glad they'll be moddable. I hope you can edit the names as well. This game has so many real-life features [hooray for no random dice rolls] that I think photos are more appropriate than cartoons. Judging from the forum community, this game will have such a tremendous response that there will probably be many online mods to choose from. You could have Condi Rice or Henry Kissenger as your Military or Ops advisor. As I've said in other threads, I think a lot of people will play this game to "play out" their heritage. What fun to add real faces to that play.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

The two faces in the diplomacy popup are a bit of a "todo" oddity - they are supposed to represent the leaders themselves, but at present they are always the same - your region is always goofy looking guy #1, and every other region is always goofy looking guy #2. (And yes, these pictures, as well as about 1/4 of the cabinet, are a bit odd looking and need to be replaced.)

We'll have to figure out something to do about the diplomacy popup picks, since ideally you'd want the player to be able to pick from a selection of pre-canned choices if they didn't want to import their own. And we should have different pics for different personalities of AI players...

But to get back to the original topic, there seems to be a divide between those that think the photo-pics are OK, and those that would like to use CG instead. It's a tough call, because to some extent the CG could end up 'taking away' from the real-world approach of the game.

-- George.
Vesson
Warrant Officer

Post by Vesson »

I think the current photos of ministers are great... politicians should look nerdy and silly anyway shouldn't they? =)

I believe that photos add a good sprinkling of reality and make the game feel just a bit more real world... I don't want to see a CG face that looks like Duke Nukem, I'd much rather a believable, untrustworthy looking political face!
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

BG why cant we just use the pictures you got already but be able to CUSTOMIZABLE with other pictures.

Like for instance be able to change out the jpeg of the ministers to pictures of my kids or whatever i like to use just like in the game Arcanum allowed us to do in there game. just a thought since im going to be playing it so much that i wont be able to see the kids i figure atleast i can add them to the game :P :P :lol: :lol:

That way they too can feel like they are controlling the world i play in. Besides maybe some of us would like to use other pix like funny cartoons or beautiful women 8)

just a crazy thought :wink:
VENI VIDI VICI
India 51A
Captain

Post by India 51A »

For what it's worth, I too am happy with the pics as they stand. If it is possible, and not too time consuming, I think the option to make them moddable for those who like that sort of thing should be implemented into the game :)
"It is well that war is so terrible.
We should grow too fond of it."

Robert E. Lee
Battle of Fredericksburg,
13 December 1862
Deitrus
Warrant Officer

Post by Deitrus »

Well, for me personally I like to customize my own graphics. Will we be able to make a mod where we can use our own pics in the game instead of the default ones? ( I would imagine that it would be easy to do, since the graphics folder should be accessable) For example, if we can do this, I will most likely get actual pics from real life military leaders and use them in my game.

Return to “General Discussion”