Distribution

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

First I like to say that this game really looks great : )
This is the game I have been waiting for a long time.
And while I surely could go on for pages why this game looks so promising to me I think it is time ask some questions about the distribution.

The "simple" question I ask myself is:
Well I be able to just walk into the closest shop and simply buy the game?
As you may have guessed im living in germany.
I think that I should tell you that buying games online (I mean buying from outside the country,especially from the US is troublesome)is not an option here.Importing games is not,I repeat NOT,possible.No longer.I think that most of you know the game "Superpower",it is still not available in germany.And Im not sure if it even is in europe.The game is out in america since april...
Dont let that happen.I can tell you for sure that if the game is not in german shops then no one (or perhaps only a handfull) will get it here.A part of that trouble has something to do with credit cards,they are by far not common around here and they are needed to buy online (at least EB needs them).
There is also another problem..perhaps you know already about it..but I will tell you if you ask.
Because what I will say will sound absurd.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2002-07-09 12:19 ]</font>
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Hi... We have yet to sign with a Publisher, so until we do we aren't sure how the product will be made available in Europe. We would like to get a deal so that there will be full European Distribution and to us Europe is a HIGH priority. We are well aware that Strategy Games have a greater overall popularity in Europe (especially Germany) than they do in North America.
- David
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Well,thats good to hear!
BTW I can tell you that importing games here in germany is very hard (right now its impossible) because I have done it.Some time ago I tried to get "Superpower".It took days to find someone who was willing to get it for me (no other shop sold it).And months later and with lots of troubles and missunderstandings I finally got it,but it really costed a lot of nerves and time AND 80 €.And I think this is more than a bit to much.The price alone actually is unacceptable.And as it is now..importing games is forbidden by the state,under circumstances at the very least.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2002-07-09 13:18 ]</font>
Reddemon
Lieutenant

Post by Reddemon »

Hey Juergen dont worry you are not missing anything with SUPER POWER IMHO I hope they never release it over there because you guys would be super mad once you spend your money on it and findout it isnt worth the trouble.
lemmy
Sergeant

Post by lemmy »

.And months later and with lots of troubles and missunderstandings I finally got it,
he already got it
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Well you are certainly right Reddemon.But I fear its to late for me though..I already got it.I dont want to say too much about it since I intend to tell the full story in another thread I will open.But I am angry with "Superpower" that I can tell you.
What Im worried about now is that I might not be able to get SP2010 once it is released.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

As David mentioned, European distribution is very important to us. I personally see the European market to be a very strong one for this product. Europeans tend to be more aware than North Americans of the world situation in general, and so I think would find it particularly interesting to play in some of the diverse parts of the world that we offer as scenarios.

From the very start we have also made Supreme Ruler 2010 easy to translate into other languages (except for Oriental ones), and we expect to have German and French versions available soon after the time of launch (possibly Spanish too). That is not to say we could actually pull off launching worldwide at the same time (most publishers can't seem to handle that), but from our side as developers we should be ready to do it.

(There is the one problem that relatively short words in English turn into much longer ones in French and German, causing headaches for our User Interface layout, but that's what Game Designers are for....)

-- George.
<Lead Programmer, BattleGoat Studios>
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Well thats good news for all strategy gamers around here!And thank you for the compliment.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2002-07-10 06:43 ]</font>

Return to “General Discussion”