E3 2003 and Today

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Emanuel
Corporal

Post by Emanuel »

Hello, This is the Eman, Producer of Supreme Ruler 2010. I want to see if I can get the pulse of the BattleGoat community. Last night at home I was surfing the web to see what others around the world think of this great game. I can say 'great' and not sound like a Marketer because if you are a member of the forum chances are you already feel the game is great.

I want your opinion on this article that I read. I want to know if you agree or feel that the game is so much more. The article is from May 15, 2003 and it is the reviewer's reaction to what he say at E3 2003. The link is below, normally I would copy and past the entire article, but I am sure that there are copyright laws.

http://e3.wargamer.com/articles.asp?ID=050152003-5

Please post back and let me know your thoughts. Be sure to apply for the Open Beta and if you haven't been selected yet I am sure it is only a matter of time.

I will log back in tomorrow and I hope to see some replies I would really like to know what you have to say. Be sure to visit http://www.strategyfirst.com for more info.

Have a great day,

Eman
Producer
Strategyfirst
JXai
Lieutenant

Post by JXai »

He doesn't talk about the Diplomacy system which I think will be a huge draw in the case of multiplayer games.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Diplomacy wasn't implemented at the time.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

The author of the article does at least mention that there is a diplomacy system,he describes it as "management".

Well,what do I think of the article...

I think that the headline already tells us that the author was very impressed with the game.
In the introduction he describes the game as a "real hardcore wargame gem" and an "excellent looking title".

Of course this article is only a coverage and just cant do every feature of the game justice and so far I think the article does its job.
The author clearly mentioned that the game is very detailed but that there is also an AI to help the player focus.
He also does gives an example to this.
In fact the AI cabinet is the feature that he writes most about.

But he also doesnt fail to inform the potential player about the "real-time-turn based system" and about the supply system (which is quite important to wargamers,as far as I know).

The features that he fails to mention are:
-missiles as units
-the LOS system

But I dont know if the author can be blamed for this at that time(?).

What does fall a little flat under the table however is the economic system,he should at least have given some examples.

However,as I said this article is just meant to be a coverage.
The author says he is most impressed gives some examples what is striking to him while still trying to present a full overview.
Thats it.
------------------------------------------
But what I DO find strange is that "Wargamer" doesnt have more articles about Supreme Ruler 2010,they should be quite interested in this title after all.
A single "coverage" is not really enough.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Juergen on 2004-02-19 09:35 ]</font>
elite
Sergeant

Post by elite »

diplomacy was mention , however briefly , but personally I feel the game is definately a gem in a sea of FPS, I feek from what I have seen and read that the games progress is far beyond the simple flattery of what the reviewer wrote.. This game is awsome,
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

I'm not a beta tester (arg) so my opinion has limited use but here it is:
It is saying pretty much what I see from the exterior, but it is even more. It is about the first TBS that pushes certain things that far. It's also the first TBS I know that will be in the real world with the present technology. It is very, very, veeeeery promising...

Hey Eman, when you said "Have a great day", was "great" a marketting trick? :grin:
Steelsky
Captain

Post by Steelsky »

As I have frequently said on here I am not a beta tester. (But your comment makes me think I have a shot, I registrered on the site with the same nick and had a bit of mail conversation with your webmaster as I couldn't remember if I'd signed up before).

This was some of the first I read about SR2010 and it made me think the usual "sounds very interesting, I hope there will be a demo available so I can evaluate it before I buy it, now where do I go for more information?"

Now I'm pretty much at the same place as I with MoO3 before they got rid of Emrich and started cutting it down which mean I'm checking the site and forum multiple times a day and chipping in with my 0.02€ where I can.

/Steelsky

Mr. E, if you're reading this, this is for you :-)

"Skating along on the thin ice of a new day"

EDIT: Speelcheek

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steelsky on 2004-02-19 19:25 ]</font>
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

I am not a Beta tester (yet) but i can only imagine his feelings if he looked at the game now. It would probably blow him out of his socks. if he was impressed then, he'll be stunned now.
sladeross
Corporal

Post by sladeross »

I think that was the article that got me looking into the game in the first place. After finding the website here and reading almost everything in the forums I just can't wait for the release. Good times a comin'. :smile:
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

This game is quite difficult to cover with a small article I guess, because it has so much depth and that this article would be just a list of features.

Things I appriciate most are sophisticated economy model (sometimes even too sophisticated for me - I often manage to flush my economy down the toilet) and neat supply model. I think these aspects should receive more coverage in the articles.

I have yet to see how the diplomacy model will turn out. I'm bit afraid that it might not be as good as it could be.

Bah, went bit offtopic!
Emanuel
Corporal

Post by Emanuel »

Hello,

(Unoriginal intro coming up)This is Emanuel Producer of Supreme Ruler 2010. I have been surfing the net once again and I thought of something that we can do. Read on for more info.

First thing first, I will answer your questions. Have a 'great' day is not a marketing trick. Imagine if I took the word great out. "Have a day" that just doesn't sound too catchy. You know now that you have me thinking, I think I will change the great to a different word, this way I can use a blatant marketing trick. But you will have to wait until you get to the bottom of the message. Someone referred to me as Mr.E, oddly enough I get that quite often, mostly it is written Mister E (mystery)

Now onto the order of the day, I enjoy your feedback and be sure to get your friends and co-workers posting here. Once there is more press generated for the game I will offer a little column called Review Rewind.

Review Rewind will be a post where I will put up the latest review or preview or announcement. I will then want the opinion of the people that matter the most and that are the Gamers, and Fans of BattleGoat and Supreme Ruler. I will post up the GOOD, the Not So Good and the Ugly. Hmm, wait I won't post a picture of me. So 4-get the ugly.

This will be a chance to offer some feed back with what was printed. Right now I would like your feed back on this other article that I found.

Dated May 15, 2003 a reaction to E3
http://www.gamezone.com/gzreviews/p18526.htm

I look forward to your replies (marketing trick coming up)

Have a SUPREME day

Strategy First keeps you First in Mind log onto http://www.strategyfirst.com TODAY!

Best regards,

Eman
Producer Supreme Ruler 2010

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Emanuel on 2004-02-20 06:50 ]</font>
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

Before I get to the preview from "Gamezone" I would like to make a short statement about comparing the beta of SR2010 with the beta of Master of Orion 3.

"Now I'm pretty much at the same place as I with MoO3 before they got rid of Emrich and started cutting it down which mean I'm checking the site and forum multiple times a day and chipping in with my 0.02€ where I can"

I am a beta tester,and let me say:
Dont worry!
We are working with a beta that has almost no technical problems at all,very few CTDs and just minor bugs.
And that was even the case of the "closed beta" which some of us started testing around Christmas.
And before that the devs have been playing test games for a long time.

As far as I have heard the beta of Moo3 was NOWHERE as close and almost certainly not right from the start.
And I cant recall any test games mentioned by the devs.

The design of Moo3 was revised over and over again,the game has only been in the state of playability for a very short time before it hit beta and finally gold.
As many fans have noticed there were very few screenshots,and those appearing gave a good indication to the state in which the game was.

OK maybe that was a little longer than I planned but Im sure many people now have more confidence in Supreme Ruler 2010.
---------------------------------------------
Now to the far more dissapointing matter of the article that is described as "First Look"...

So what is this guy trying to say in this article,what information does the reader gain from it.

It basically goes like this:

"Yo Yo fellow gamerz!!
Do you remember this...whats the word??..
Yeah bordgame,thats it!It was called "Rissk"!
You know that kind of straetegy game even people like me know from name and even know how to play!
Me will certainly never forget the moment where my dog beet me at that game.
It was incredible he just "ate up" my troops.

OK guys and girls,
now where you have a vague idea of how this new title "Supreme Ruler 2010" looks like I will tell you what its all about!!!

Ahemmm.....OK,so bear with this game is a...strateegie gaeme.
WHuuuuts that???
Yeah well you have some kind of place to play in like Mars,Moon your kitchen and in this case its our EARTH.
Wow,just like these games from Westwood did!
And just like in every good strategy game you build units and send them across the map,yeah absolutly.
Incredible,that has never been there before!
The units even look like they do in our reality,is that cool or what?
But I gues these guy from a certain software studio have also done that beforem,right?
And now you will ceertainly ask me:

"But how does it come to pass that you actually get these units,after all a guy like you shouldnt even be authorized to drive a car!"

And I will answer to you:
"Yes right you are!"
But you must know that in oarder to get those units You will have to mine resources.
Even I can do that!
Just imagine it like in this game which name I just forgott:
Player builds harvester,harverster harvestts resources,Bonzo builds tanks from resorces,dog eates up tanks.
Simple aint it?
And just before you ask...the grafiks are no good.
Just like in this game from this Meier guy you know.

OK kids thats it for todaaaayyy...and tomorrow I will give you a "First Look" on "Sesame Street Racer 3".
Byby kids.
-------------------------------------------
And that is all this "First Look" says.

I say "GUILTY"!
This man is guilty.
It my impression that this man has never reviewed and maybe even played a strategy game before.
If he knew his stuff then he would have noticed that the lines that he wrote about Supreme Ruler 2010 absolutely say nothing about the game.
Nothing that a reader wouldnt have guessed by himself.
Its nothing new that you build units and harverst resources in a strategy game.
And thats all he says about this.
He repeatedly compares the game with risk...as I said in my little parody this might be the only strategy game he knows.

In short he describes SR 2010 as a kind of Command&Conquer clone.
At least this is all that people can make out of the information the text provides.
The information are VERY generic.

This author should have realized that he doesnt anything about strategy games and should have refused to write this first look.
And if in some case he actually did know anything about this then hr should realize that his article doesnt give the ready any idea about the game.

I admit I dont read "Gamezone" at all but I doubt that what we have seen is their concept of an "First Look".
pg
Corporal

Post by pg »

i thought the wargamer article was well done and reflects on the game pretty accurately. the gamezone blurb was a bit off due to using words like civ/risk but it still managed to be a decent article. what really got me interested in the game was the sr2010 website though. the press coverage just was icing on the cake.
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

they didn'y even mention the real-time feature. THey seem to have forgotten the economic model, anything about the diplomatic system? Yes! Conquer or be conquered. even though the review says descent things, it gives a completely false impression of the game.
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

In their defense... That was at E3 last year. And for those who haven't been, let me give you a blurb from a Press Standpoint (I've been "Media" at these type of shows):

Your editor gives you a list of companies to visit on each day - in this case it would be done by Publisher, so they would have been assigned to see all of Strategy First's upcoming lineup. You have to schedule your visits so that you can fit them all in. So the bottom line is that you don't get to "absorb" any one game, just try and elicit the highlights on each. If you're lucky, you spend 10 minutes with the developer going over the title.

In some ways that's why I dislike shows like E3. How, in 10 minutes is someone supposed to get a full idea of what our game encompasses? First Person Shooters... no problem -- seen one seen em all! But strategy games??? I really think that's why E3 is becoming more of a console show, the meatier games just can't hope to get the time needed for the press to full appreciate what's involved with their game. And add to that a title coming from a first time development studio... We're lucky we got mentioned at all!

Return to “General Discussion”