when we say a "HEX" , how much real world space are we talki

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Just how big are the hexs on the maps in terms of real life distance ?
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

Hexes??? Who said anything about hexes??? :grin: Actually hexes are kind of an Inside Joke around here. (one that we cry in our coffee over...)

First, to answer your question, the scale of a hex will vary with the scenario. I really can't be that much more specific. Our scenario maps go from small areas of Europe, to the entire World, so the scale changes appropriately.

Now as to "Hexes" themselves. First we had small hexes, then we had large hexes that had seven segments in them, then we went back to small hexes, and now we don't officially have any hexes! Confused? Me too :grin:

To explain.... Ahh... the wonderful world of Game Publishing and Marketing :smile: This thread seems like as good a place as any to have this discussion. A Publisher (who shall remain nameless, but whom we hope will actually be our publisher), is concerned with the stereotyping of hex based games. They consider them strictly "Wargames" and of lower marketability. Wargames just don't have the market appeal Strategy Games have. (Personally, I hate pigeon holing anything into one or the other.)

So... Yes Supreme Ruler 2010 is a hex-based game, but the hexes by default are not shown. This led to other problems as well... Since you can build roads in SR2010, hiding the hex nature became a bit of a problem... a straight road would normally become jaggy. George (the other partner in BattleGoat and our head programmer) worked out a "Smoothing" routine and now map details that would normally give away the hex based nature of the game don't show it at all. As well, since we have gone to a pseudo "Real Time", units also move gradually over the terrain and don't jump from hex to hex.

Anyone really familiar with computer games will realize that there are underlying hexes to the map, but we don't make them obvious. And that is the history of hexes in SR2010. (Did I help cure your insomnia??? :grin: )
- David
lemmy
Sergeant

Post by lemmy »

do you think you could include an option to show the hexes, like the show grid option in civ3, me likes hexes.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

There definitely will be an option to show hexes for those that want to...
Mojo
Warrant Officer

Post by Mojo »

I HATE (For those who think hate to strong a word, insert heartily dislike :smile: ) Publishers! It is unfortunate they are a necessary evil. A publisher wouldn't know a good game if came and bit him on the arse!
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

On 2002-07-06 22:43, Mojo wrote:
A publisher wouldn't know a good game if came and bit him on the arse!
:grin:

Return to “General Discussion”