Combat Advisor

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

Combat Advisor

Post by Legend »

To further evaluate our game, I have another area to discuss, the Combat Advisor.

What do you think about our current Combat Advisor?
Do you use it?
It is useful?
What's a Combat Advisor?
Where is that in the interface?
What would you change to make it better?
Was it even necessary to have in the game?
If you don't use the Combat Advisor how do you size up the units in other regions?

We would appreciate some constructive criticism about this one area of the game.
red
General

Post by red »

What's the Combat Advisor? I've never seen it or at least don't know the name.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

What's a Combat Advisor?
etc...
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Errrr... combat advisor? Who is that? :wink:
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Did i miss update 5.... :-?
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Oh Come on! :D There is a Combat Advisor.... It is on the unit panel.... But don't ask me more... I haven't use it :oops:

I'll give it a look tonigh.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

It's only use for me is to quickly show the range to something.
zwhuang
Lieutenant

Post by zwhuang »

I hope it will at least do it job like a combat advisor advising on orders given by us etc like reaching it desgination,attacking units. if possible hope it will given more details the unit ful comsumption on travelling certain terrian..estimate time to reach..estimate casulites on attacking unit. well this jus a suggestion but i always happy to see more new thing and improvement to the game as i love sr2010 than any game i play before..
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

zwhuang, the combat advisor is already in the game :wink:

So I assume that you haven't used it either :)
moondrift
Captain

Post by moondrift »

I'm guessing that this reaction means that most people, like me either don't use it or don't know it's there so I guess it needs to be more dynamic, or at least easier to find.
Before I attack a region I tend to use recon assets along the border to acertain what level of tech their military is at and what sort of unit numbers they have at their border. If there are any military bases within range I can guess numbers too. I then double click on them to examine the stacks and calculate my strengths and weaknesses versus them. That way I can see if I can successfully invade or if I need more defenses.

It would be good if we could have a combat advisor that gave an estimate of the state of the enemy forces in the form of a report, eg They have a strong defensive forces, not much offense or something more complete the more time and money you use on it figuring that you would be using a generic spy, electronic survelence type system.

You wouldn't need to model these units. But i don't think you should ever have a totally accurate assesment as this wouldn't happen IRL.
zwhuang
Lieutenant

Post by zwhuang »

i know the exsist of combat advisor but time when i use them are use submarine to launch anti ship missle, air strike and major land assualt. but 1 thing i find that the casualties bar on the combat advisor never change cause i had few unit taken heavy damage after a few battle. i'm not sure is a bug on it or i did't do it a corect way. Any improvement on addtional function to combat advisor i'll welcome it.
tonystowe
Colonel

Combat Advisor

Post by tonystowe »

Legend and current gamers,

I have not purchased SR2010 so I have no idea what the combat advisor is currently programmed to do or is capable of doing. Regardless, I will offer my thoughts as to what I believe the advisor might do.

The advisor should have at least two modes of operations: Peace and War. When requesting information on either a friendly, neutral or enemy country then the combat advisor must understand the current status quo and seek information through the available means. The Player should be able to set Triggers for the combat advisor in order to allow the combat advisor some room for making decisions that might cause interntional complications. Triggers, or criteria, should be limited by the games programmers due to the enormous amount of possibilities. Triggers such as certain production, specific number of XYZ missile or capability, etc. The information provided by the Combat Advisor should never be 100% accurate and one single piece of information should never give the full story. The "full picture" should be developed after analyzing multiple reports from ground units, news related items, other government entities, etc. Misinformation and propaganda efforts should also play its roll in this cycle.

The player's Combat Advisor should have his hands into all that is INTEL related. The advisor should be able to pull information from various internal sources both civil (i.e. CIA, FBI, diplomats, etc) and military (SOF, Intel agents, spies, etc) agencies and external sources such as friendly countries, rebel group, political group, etc.

The Combat advisor would provide various intel-related information depending on the method (Peace or War) available to it as advised by the Player (or AI government) and take additional actions based on the selected Trigger's or criteria.

During Peaceful relations with a country the Combat advisor may seek information from dissident groups, rebel groups, inserted spies, diplomatic entities, etc. Each action should have the possibilities to increase hostilities depending on the severity of the action. The player, or AI, should have the means to pay for information as well.

During Wartime relations the Combat Advisor could take on a new look altogether. During this mode it should be decided as to whether the combat advisor will be reporting on past, current or future operations.

- If future operations then it needs to start pulling intel for those missions/operations at the level appropriate (strategic, tactical, etc).
- If current operations then it should provide BDA, recent intel from POW's, intel from captured documents or equipment, organization information of enemy encountered, etc.
- If past operations then it might give reasons as to the success or failure of a particular operation, mission or war.

In closing, I am looking forward to trying this game and if anyone has anything to add or otherwise let me know. There are plenty more faucets to the possibilities of a Combat Advisor - I just don't have the time to go through them all at this time.
tonystowe
Colonel

Combat Advisor

Post by tonystowe »

Legend and current gamers,

I have not purchased SR2010 so I have no idea what the combat advisor is currently programmed to do or is capable of doing. Regardless, I will offer my thoughts as to what I believe the advisor might do.

The advisor should have at least two modes of operations: Peace and War. When requesting information on either a friendly, neutral or enemy country then the combat advisor must understand the current status quo and seek information through the available means. The Player should be able to set Triggers for the combat advisor in order to allow the combat advisor some room for making decisions that might cause interntional complications. Triggers, or criteria, should be limited by the games programmers due to the enormous amount of possibilities. Triggers such as certain production, specific number of XYZ missile or capability, etc. The information provided by the Combat Advisor should never be 100% accurate and one single piece of information should never give the full story. The "full picture" should be developed after analyzing multiple reports from ground units, news related items, other government entities, etc. Misinformation and propaganda efforts should also play its roll in this cycle.

The player's Combat Advisor should have his hands into all that is INTEL related. The advisor should be able to pull information from various internal sources both civil (i.e. CIA, FBI, diplomats, etc) and military (SOF, Intel agents, spies, etc) agencies and external sources such as friendly countries, rebel group, political group, etc.

The Combat advisor would provide various intel-related information depending on the method (Peace or War) available to it as advised by the Player (or AI government) and take additional actions based on the selected Trigger's or criteria.

During Peaceful relations with a country the Combat advisor may seek information from dissident groups, rebel groups, inserted spies, diplomatic entities, etc. Each action should have the possibilities to increase hostilities depending on the severity of the action. The player, or AI, should have the means to pay for information as well.

During Wartime relations the Combat Advisor could take on a new look altogether. During this mode it should be decided as to whether the combat advisor will be reporting on past, current or future operations.

- If future operations then it needs to start pulling intel for those missions/operations at the level appropriate (strategic, tactical, etc).
- If current operations then it should provide BDA, recent intel from POW's, intel from captured documents or equipment, organization information of enemy encountered, etc.
- If past operations then it might give reasons as to the success or failure of a particular operation, mission or war.

In closing, I am looking forward to trying this game and if anyone has anything to add or otherwise let me know. There are plenty more faucets to the possibilities of a Combat Advisor - I just don't have the time to go through them all at this time.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

My combat advisor suggested tht some logical order of battle and other organizational constructs would be very useful. I hope he/she was right.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Legend
General

Post by Legend »

OK, I guess I've let this thread go too long... sorry about that.

Our current comabat advisor is accessible when you have selected at least one of your units. The unit panel opens at the bottom left of our GUI and you can control different aspects of your units - even go to advance unit orders. There is one button here in panel one that opens two panels... and when you then mouse over enemy units you will see a comparative summary of the diferences between your selected units and the units in the hex you are mousing over.

Give it a try and tell us what you think of it. Personally, I don't use this because I don't find the area very helpful. I can't interact with the second third panel and I can only view one hex with enemy units - although i can select multiple units of my own.

Do you have any comments about this current system? How would you like to see it changed? What improvements does it need? Or, should we do without it completely (and perhaps do something new)?.

Return to “General Discussion”