open beta started

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Jug
Sergeant

Post by Jug »

Does anyone know when the open beta testers will be notified?

Cheers,
Jug
XeroMan
Lt. Colonel

Post by XeroMan »

If we applied to the closed beta, but too late, will that count towards the open, or should I register again?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Most deffinitely register again! Better safe than sorry. Not sure when the notifications will go out but I believe the Open Beta is set to actually begin (download available) around beginning of Feb.
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

Wahey! Might get in this time! Though I'm sort of scared cos I have no beta-testing experience whatsoever...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Really, beta testing is not hard to do. There are a few things that we as a developer hope to get in the way of feedback. First, the beta allows us to have the program run on various machines, OS and configurations. This is important to look for crashes caused by flaws in certain company’s operating systems. :grin:

As for what to do when you get the beta? Have fun with it. We’ve been staring at the game for so long now that we start to take things for granted. Try weird things. See if there are logic flaws in some of the screens. Heck, some of the bug reports we got back where for simple spelling mistakes we’d made on screens we’ve looked at hundreds of times. You just get so used to your own product that you don’t catch the small things anymore. One of the products I beta tested in the past, as soon as I got it, I tried launching multiple runs of the game to see if it got confused. In another I found that if you hit esc to get the menu repeatedly, it opened the menu multiple times.

I know that George’s favorite thing to do when he gets a new game is trying to attack his own units. He’ll try and sabotage his own economy and see how the program reacts. It’s stuff like this that we hope to get out of the beta process. Remember that small flaws in a single calculation can go unnoticed until very far into the game. It takes time for the effects of such things to grow. So far, however, we’ve been quite fortunate that the game engine has proven itself very solid. Other than a small mistake with silos in the first version :oops: , we’ve seen little in the way of actual crashes.
Fosse
Corporal

Post by Fosse »

This is my first post, having only learned of the game recently. Looks like a great piece of work, and here's hoping I'm picked up for the beta!

Nice to be here.
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

>As for what to do when you get the beta? Have fun with it.

I think I'll be able to manage that :smile:
Geta
Warrant Officer

Post by Geta »

Is there any idea yet, when notifications are going to be sent out, for qualifying for the open beta?
Jug
Sergeant

Post by Jug »

I was told early Feb.
ilkhan
Warrant Officer

Post by ilkhan »

No beta for me yet :smile:
Benos
Sergeant

Post by Benos »

has anyone got the open bata yet?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There are over 1500 users currenlty in the beta.
Benos
Sergeant

Post by Benos »

doh! :sad:

looks like they didnt pick me :S
Korny
Sergeant

Post by Korny »

when did you apply?

Return to “General Discussion”