World Market a pain in the ass! Need help...

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

SalK
Corporal

World Market a pain in the ass! Need help...

Post by SalK »

I am playing with Paris and the campaign needs complete victory so I have to eliminate 4 countries. So I build a big warmachine and eliminating the countries is not the problem...

After some time World Market starts to hate me really bad. After being closed out of the World Market my petrol of course runs out and my warmachine does not move so fast anymore! :-(

I need to know what I am doing wrong and how I should do to stay in the World Market and still fight the war with my neighbours. I have tested shuting down a lot of my bases, pay my neighbours for peace... But its not really working!
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

I think the devs are working on some of the issues with the WM where this thing happens and it's not always the fault of the player...

I'm thinking of the domino effect where countries declare war whenever you get a common border and you never get a chance to return to a non-war situation. That can really drain the WM approval levels.

Some things you might be able to do is to reduce petrol use by industry/civilians....deactivate petrol power plants if you have any. Avoid using heavy fuel using units.

When looking at a unit, it will report fuel capacity and range...a unit needing 40 fuel and travelling 1000km indicates 25km per fuel. If instead it needs 200 fuel for a range of 400km, then you're only getting 2km per fuel unit...tanks can use lots of fuel!

Avoid moving units if you can.

These things might help a bit but without the WM and no petrol, you can be a bit stuck.

If you can afford it, develop synthetic fuel and/or mine for as much petrol as you can. There is some offshore oil south of Barcelona.

Good Luck
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

While we are looking at the balance of the game in all aspects, including the WM, some things are not likley to change any time soon. If you act in a way that is seen as "bad" by the world market (Using nukes, attacking allies, attacking without cause) they are still going to kick you out. There is a sticky thread in diplomacy that talks about what things affect the Causus Belli (war justification) of regions, you might want to check that out. One tip would be, don't attack a region where the bar next to their name in diplomacy is not at least half way up. Attacking regions without cause will generally get you kicked out quickly.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SalK
Corporal

Post by SalK »

First, thank you guys for your reply.

In this particular campagin I have never declared war, they have declared war on me. Sometimes I have managed to get some peace, but not for long. They have declared war on me again. I am thinking if my troops near the border have made them angry on me, but I have to have defenses, dont I?

My conclusion of this last game is that World Market opinion is a important part of the game when playing for "complete victory". Because you have to fight everybody its hard to have "justification" on your side in all case.

Another thing I have been thinking about is if I can get oil from an ally or likewise?
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

I don't think that the WM should do a total boycott of a country. It doesn't seem that realistic.
Missiles!! Nukes!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Baloogan wrote:I don't think that the WM should do a total boycott of a country. It doesn't seem that realistic.
Why not? if their approval of you is less than 5% why should they sell you anything?

I think the problem here is that the WM opinion has fallen when it should not have. There have been a few reports of this but it is hit and miss so we've not been able to catch what's causing this.

I still feel that if you do enough to make the WM hate you that much they should kick you out. How much actions should affect their opinion is a balance issue.
SalK wrote:My conclusion of this last game is that World Market opinion is a important part of the game when playing for "complete victory". Because you have to fight everybody its hard to have "justification" on your side in all case.
This is very true, and we certainly hope we've created enough chaos that the wars fuel themselves. If you have CB against only player 2 and 4, hopefully player 1 and 3 will do something like attacking each other or another player to affect the CB so you can move through the scenario. These are areas we will be looking into farther although so far no serious problems have been mentioned.
SalK wrote:Another thing I have been thinking about is if I can get oil from an ally or likewise?
Not likley in that scenario, oil is hard to get on purpose there.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Balthagor wrote:
Baloogan wrote:I don't think that the WM should do a total boycott of a country. It doesn't seem that realistic.
Why not? if their approval of you is less than 5% why should they sell you anything?
The UN/NATO bloc still sells stuff to north korea.
Missiles!! Nukes!
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Simple!!!

Your unti building capacity is to high!!

Kill some bases off!!
check the overview and see how your buildcap is compared to others. if it sticks out (is higher then th rest) reduce it!

The WM favor will come back slowly!
yes of course your war machine will be buidl slower!
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Yea thats wat I useally do...
Make sure you have a lower build cap than at least one AI player then even if you attack them you will take a hit (A very big one if ya beli bar isn't fullish) but if will go back up...

Wat I useally do If I can is fortify all my borders with 3 garrisons 2 anti-tank units and 2 leg artillary with some anti air close by...

I then put all my units wat i'm not gonna use into one base and deactivating all the others (Of course i'll always have at least one Land/Air/Sea base active to store my units) I then wait...

I should take about 2 months to notice but you will.

But i'll tell you the best way to avoid taking a hit...

DON'T GO TO WAR UNLESS U HAVE 90%-100% Beli-Bar rating :D
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
przy
Lieutenant

Post by przy »

Don't go to war? What other reason is there to play for? :wink:
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Well, theres always technology. Learn to make synthetic oil.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Baloogan wrote:The UN/NATO bloc still sells stuff to north korea.
Yes but the WM is supposed to be a much tougher organization. Many countries already refuse to trade with NK.

przy wrote:Don't go to war? What other reason is there to play for? :wink:
Now, that's not what I said ;) I said don't go to war without cause :D
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Luther
Corporal

Post by Luther »

I am having the same problem as before mentioned. The WM cuts me off when I have not started any fights. I share a common border and the nation declares war on me for no reason.

I think the WM rating should increase somehow if you try to make peace. Almost like you are appealling to the WM because the nations are declaring war on you. If the WM rating only dropped when you were the aggressor that would be more realistic. In addition you should gain WM rating when fighting a war that was not caused by you, foreign sympathy. Maybe a WM sanctioned missions could be constructed allowing retribution and supplies when attacked.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

the answer is mentioned above.

Your WM approval doesnt drop because of the wars declared on you! The problem is your buildcapacity.
You can fix this by lowering it and you can see your WMapproval rise. this is the most direct thign you can do.

i have opened a discussion on this here:

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5591

read it maybe it helps
bluntobj
Lieutenant

Post by bluntobj »

Other things that might help are:

Setting the "give aid to neutrals" priority for your diplomatic minister.

Watch your artillery in cities. If you bombard cities where enemy troops are defending you will kill civilians. The WM does NOT like this, and you will see your WM rating drop fast. You are better off doing a combined arms assault on the city quickly, forcing the enemy out of city hexes. Then feel free to shell the heck outta them.

Keep your economy balanced, your inflation low, and have progressive social policies. If inflation starts to get out of hand (i.e. over 5%), set your finance minister's priority to fight inflation, and jack your business tax rates and high income tax rates until inflation backs off a little. Having your production minister set to keep prices low helps as well. The WM does like a nice economy.

Research technologies that improve your standing with the WM.

Return to “General Discussion”