Famous Quotes - relevant to SR2010

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Legend
General
Human: Yes

Famous Quotes - relevant to SR2010

Post by Legend »

We have added a new feature to our web site that rotates through famous quotes. A new quote is displayed at the bottom of several pages each time you refresh the page.

Now, I can easily do a web search and get some more quotes but instead I thought I would ask you all for some ideas. We like the quotes to be military, political, diplomatic or economic in nature... i.e relevant to the game.

BTW if someone can find a quote from George W. Bush that isn't a "bushism" let us know. If you want to know what a "bushism" is, go here. http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/q ... wbush.html
or google "bushism".

Back to real quotes... send us your favourites now.
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

"Veni, vidi, vici."
(I came, I saw, I conquered)
- Julius Caesar, Roman emperor (100BC-44BC)

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."
- General George Patton Jr

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum".
("If you wan't peace, prepare for war")
- Flavius Vegetius Renatus. Roman Military strategist. c. 390. A.D

"I do not fear an army of lions, if they are led by a lamb.
I do fear an army of sheep, if they are led by a lion."
- Alexander the Great

“Frederick liked to say that three men behind the enemy were worth fifty in front of him.”
Colonel Ardant du Picq

"We make war that we may live in peace."
- Aristotle

"let's roll"
Todd M. Beamer last words on 9-11-01

"Without supplies neither a general nor a soldier is good for anything"
- Clearchus, 401 BC.
Spartan officer, celebrated as the leader of the Ten Thousand.

"All's fair in love and war"
- Francis Edwards

"The God of War hates those who hesitate."
- Euripides, 480-406 b.c

"Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there,
Eighty are just targets,
Nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle.
Ah, but the one,
One is a warrior,
And he will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus

Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.
Major Holdridge

"Come on, Lakotas! It's a good day to die!"
- Crazy Horse, June 1876.

"Hold what you’ve got and hit them where you can"
- Admiral of the Fleet Ernest J. King, December 1941.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly."
- Nick Lappos, Chief R&D Pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft.

"Nobody has yet found a way of bombing that can prevent foot soldiers from walking."
-Walter Lippmann

""The allies we gain by victory will turn against us upon the bare whisper of our defeat"
- Rear Admiral Alfred Thayer Mahan, Naval Historian 1911

"Modern war has become a struggle for men's minds as well as for their bodies".
-Brigadier General Robert McClure, Korean War

“Everybody in Afghanistan ought to know we’re coming in and hells coming with us.”
-former National Security Advisor Robert McFarlane

"No plan survives contact with the enemy."
- Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke.

"If we loose the war in the air, we loose the war, and we loose it quickly"
- Field Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein

"If the enemy is the invading party, we can cut his line of communications and occupy the roads by which he will have to return; if we are the invaders, we may direct our attack against the sovereign himself."
- Tu Mu

"It is the function of the Navy to carry the war to the enemy so that it will not be fought on U.S. soil."
- Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Commander in Chief of the Pacific Fleet

"Good logistics is combat power"
- Lieutenant-General William G. Pagonis,
Director of Logistics during the Gulf War of 1991

"The objective is not the occupation of a geographical position, but the destruction of the enemy force"
- General Piotr A. Rumyantsev (1725-1796)

"He who has command of the sea has command of everything."
-Themistocles

"It is our true policy to steer clear of permanent alliances with any portion of the foreign world"
- President George Washington, Farewell address September 1796

"If the enemy's dispositions are visible, we can make for him in one body; whereas, our own dispositions being kept secret, the enemy will be obliged to divide his forces in order to guard against attack from every quarter."
- Chang Yu

All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

If your enemy is secure at all points, be prepared for him. If he is in superior strength, evade him. If your opponent is temperamental, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant. If he is taking his ease, give him no rest. If his forces are united, separate them. If sovereign and subject are in accord, put division between them. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected.
- Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Bring war material with you from home, but forage on the enemy... use the conquered foe to augment one's own strength.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War

In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it.
-Sun Tzu, the Art of War
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

Some Bush Quotes: http://boycottliberalism.com/Bush-quotes.htm

"I can hear you, the rest of the world can hear you and the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

"We did not seek this war on terror, but this is the world as we find it."

"Our war on terror is well begun, but it is only begun. This campaign may not be finished on our watch -- yet it must be and it will be waged on our watch."

"We have known freedom's price. We have shown freedom's power. And in this great conflict, my fellow Americans, we will see freedom's victory."

"We've not come all this way -- through tragedy, and trial and war -- only to falter and leave our work unfinished."

"Our enemies believed America was weak and materialistic, that we would splinter in fear and selfishness. They were as wrong as they are evil."

"This is not, however, just America's fight. And what is at stake is not just America's freedom. This is the world's fight. This is civilization's fight. This is the fight of all who believe in progress and pluralism, tolerance and freedom."

"We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbour them."

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive."

"Free people will set the course of history."

"America will never seek a permission slip to defend the security of our people."

"Our greatest responsibility is the active defense of the American people."
ilungo
Sergeant

Post by ilungo »

Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing suceeds like exess. - Oscar Wilde

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother. - Shakespeare
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

So many quotes, so little time. :)

A tomb now suffices him for whom the whole world was not sufficient.
Alexander The Great

"I would rather live a short life of glory than a long one of obscurity"
Alexander The Great

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)

War is a series of catastrophes that results in a victory.
Georges Clemenceau (1841 - 1929)

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.
Ulysses S. Grant (1822 - 1885)

I love the smell of Napalm in the morning
Apocalypse Now

Now your soul may belong to Jesus, but your ass belongs to the Marine Corps
Full Metal Jacket

Instead of building newer and larger weapons of mass destruction, I think mankind should try to get more use out of the ones we have.
Jack Handey
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

War, mainly anti-war;

Voltaire
"It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets."

Napoleon Bonaparte
Do you know what surprised me the most in this world? The inability of force to create anything. In the end the sword is always beaten by the spirit.

Omar Bradley
“Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living.” - General Omar Bradley speech to West Point cadets, 1952.

Julius Caesar
Beware the leader who bangs the drum of war in order to whip the citizenry into a patriotic fervor. For patriotism is indeed a double-edged sword. It both emboldens the blood, just as it narrows the mind. And when the drums of war have reached a fever pitch and the blood boils with hate and the mind has closed, the leader will have no need in seizing the rights of the citizenry. Rather, the citizenry, infused with fear and patriotism, will offer up all of their rights to the leader and gladly so. How do I know? For this is what I have done. And I am Julius Caesar.

Albert Camus
And I should like to be able to love my country and still love justice. I don't want just any greatness for it, particularly a greatness born of blood and falsehood. I want to keep it alive by keeping justice alive.

Albert Einstein
...the greatest obstacle to international order is that monstrously exaggerated spirit of nationalism which also goes by the fair-sounding but misused name of patriotism. During the last century and a half this idol has acquired an uncanny and exceedingly pernicious power everywhere.

Albert Einstein
You cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war.

Albert Einstein
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one.

Dwight Eisenhower
All of us have heard this term 'preventive war' since the earliest days of Hitler. I don't believe there is such a thing; and, frankly, I wouldn't even listen to anyone seriously that came in and talked about such a thing.

Dwight Eisenhower
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children . . . Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from a cross of iron."

Albert Einstein
He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice. This disgrace to civilisation should be done away with at once. Heroism at command, how violently I hate all this, how despicable and ignoble war is; I would rather be torn to shreds than be a part of so base an action. It is my conviction that killing under the cloak of war is no different than murder.

David Friedman
The direct use of force is such a poor solution to any problem, it is generally employed only by small children and large nations.

Mohandas Gandhi
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or in the holy name of liberty and democracy?

Mohandas Gandhi
Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat, for it is momentary.

Mohandas Gandhi
Liberty and democracy become unholy when their hands are died red with innocent blood.

Hermann Goering
"Why of course the people don't want war ... But after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship ..Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger."

Aldous Huxley
So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

John Kerry (1971)
I committed the same kinds of atrocities as thousands of others in that I shot in free fire zones, fired 50-caliber machine bullets, used harass-and-interdiction fire, joined in search-and-destroy missions, and burned villages. All of these acts are contrary to the laws of the Geneva Convention, and all were ordered as written, established policies from the top down, and the men who ordered this are war criminals.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Colonel Kurtz (Apocalypse Now)
" We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write **** on their airplanes because it's obscene! "

Jay Leno
President Bush may be the smartest military president in history. First he gets Iraq to destroy all of their own weapons. Then he declares war.

MarkTwain
"Statesmen will invent cheap lies, putting blame upon the nation that is attacked, and every man will be glad of those conscience-soothing falsities, and will diligently study them, and refuse to examine any refutations of them; and thus he will by and by convince himself that the war is just, and will thank God for the better sleep he enjoys after this process of grotesque self-deception."

George Orwell
The nationalist not only does not disapprove of atrocities committed by his own side, but he has a remarkable capacity for not even hearing about them.

Wilfred Owen
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood/Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,/Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud/Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,/My friend, you would not tell with such high zest/To children ardent for some desperate glory,/The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est/Pro patria mori.

Thomas Paine
My country is the world. My countrymen are mankind.

Blaise Pascal
Can anything be more ridiculous than that a man should have a right to kill me because he lives on the other side of the water, and because his ruler has a quarrel with mine, though I have none with him?

Jean Paul-Sartre
When the rich wage war, it is the poor who die.

Sigmund Freud
"Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock."

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Anyone who has proclaimed violence his method inexorably must choose lying as his principle.

Tom Stoppard
War is capitalism with the gloves off.

Tacitus
"They made a desert and called it peace."

George Wallace
Why does the Air Force need expensive new bombers? Have the people we've been bombing over the years been complaining?

Paul Wolfowitz
I think all foreigners should stop interfering in the internal affairs of Iraq.
Caleb367
Warrant Officer

Post by Caleb367 »

"This is an AK-47, the favorite weapon of the enemy. It has a peculiar sound, when it's fired at you."
Clint Eastwood, "Heartbreak Ridge"

"This is the crucial moment. Behind us, only the river, there's no place to run to. Fight to death! There's no other way to survive. But if we resist... Victory will be ours"
Kentaro Miura, "Berserk"

"Love & Peace!"
Yasuhiro Nightow, "Trigun"

"When a man with a revolver meets a man with a rifle, the man with the revolver is a dead man"
Gian Maria Volonte', "A Fistful o' Dollars"

Mr. Burns: I'll keep it short and sweet -- Family. Religion. Friendship. These are the three demons you must slay if you wish to succeed in business.
"The Simpsons"

Homer: From now on, there are three ways to do things: the right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way.
Bart: Isn't that just the wrong way?
Homer: Yeah, but faster!
"The Simpsons" (THIS happened to me several times in my SR2010 games :lol: )

As soon as something new's discovered, men run off to find a way to use it for killing each other.
Frederic Dard

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts!
Homer: Explain how!
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services!
Homer: Woo-hoo!
"The Simpsons" (this could be useful in an economic FAQ :D )

The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.
Leon Trotsky

It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.
Emiliano Zapata

I am sometimes a fox and sometimes a lion. The whole secret of government lies in knowing when to be the one or the other.
Napoleon Bonaparte
ozmono2005
Brigadier Gen.

Post by ozmono2005 »

Adolf Hitler, "In starting and waging a war it is not right that matters but victory."

Adolf Hitler, before invading Russia "The world shall hold its breath"

Leon Trotsky "You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you."

Von Clausewitz " war is nothing but a continuation of politics by other means"

Douglas Macarthur "In war there is no substitute for victory"

Malcom X "Power never takes a back step- only in the face of more power"

Otto Von Bismark "Politics is the art of possiable"

"History is written by the victors" Cannot remember who said it
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

May the force be with you... :D

Cheers
Moritz
Captain

Post by Moritz »

arms keep peace
latin proverb
Welcome to modern warfare this isn't C&C
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room."

Dr Strangelove
Atomic_Ayatollah
Sergeant

Post by Atomic_Ayatollah »

"Nobody Hates War Like A Soldier" General Tommy Franks
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

You people have been playing Operation Flashpoint and Rome : Total War Way too much... Now I have one...

Ahh Mere Infantry, Poor Beggers... 'Some Greek Guy'
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Moritz
Captain

Post by Moritz »

CptBritish wrote:You people have been playing Operation Flashpoint and Rome : Total War Way too much... Now I have one...

Damn how did you know ? :P

Pay every debt, as if God wrote the bill
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Welcome to modern warfare this isn't C&C
Caleb367
Warrant Officer

Post by Caleb367 »

CptBritish wrote:You people have been playing Operation Flashpoint and Rome : Total War Way too much... Now I have one...

You too, huh? :D

"Gold can buy a thousand warriors. And a thousand warriors... they are the start of an empire"
"Some Parthian Guy"

:wink:

Return to “General Discussion”