Lag

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Arac
Sergeant

Post by Arac »

I'm getting massive lag on the Europe map now. Dunno if that particular game is screwed up, but it's basically gotten so I can't play. I've tried all the suggestions in this thread to no avail. The savegames are about 21mb, dunno how typical that is.

I only have 512mb, admittedly, but the game's memory footprint is generally only around 200mb, so I'm just out of ideas.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Send us a copy of your 'dxdiag' file and we'll take a look at your configuration - you shouldn't be seeing much lag in Europe.

Also, is your lag issue just at 'day end', or is it slow throughout?

(To get a dxdiag file, select Start -> Run and type in 'dxdiag', and then select 'Save Information' from the dx diag window. Email the file that it saves to support@bgforums.com )

-- George.
Shintai
Warrant Officer

Post by Shintai »

I have huuge lag on the european map after update2. It´s due to the AI is in war it seems. it goes normal speed from 1 to 5, then it basicly is dead and locked and suddenly jumps from 5 to 10 oclock..then alittle stall again in the change from 11 to 12
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

You might find that it will significantly help performance to run at 16 bit instead of 32 bit game resolutions (Options -> Graphics -> Screen Color Depth to 16).

There is also a new Setting in Update 2, Options -> Graphics -> Unit Image Resolution; set this to 'Low' and you'll gain performance in large maps with lots of units, and the overall on-map graphics quality is only slightly reduced.

-- George.
daikyu
Sergeant

Post by daikyu »

Is tha game that much of a graphics hog?

I would think that this game is more CPU limited than Video card limited.

It looks like from this thread that most of the people having problems have a hefty video card but a slightly older CPU.

Most FPS games are more video card dependent than CPU dependent.
Arac
Sergeant

Post by Arac »

Shintai summed up the situation perfectly. The lag doesn't seem related to any particular time of day, but it does seem related to the massive Germany-France-Poland war going on, unfortunately this war never ends so I can't really confirm it. As he says, it wasn't present in even the slightest way prior to update 2, and if anything the European wars were even bigger then.

I've tried both 16 bit and low unit resolution, as well as everything else in the thread, so I can't see that'd be the problem, and considering the small memory footprint I mentioned earlier, I can only think it's thrashing the CPU in some way. My hugely unprofessional guess based on what I've seen is that it may be something to do with the AI putting units in or out of reserve en masse. This, however, could be a complete red herring.

Running a P4 3Ghz and a 9800 Pro, for daikyu's benefit. ;)

I'll PM you my dxdiag rather than spam the boards.

Edit: I'll also try one of the other continental maps to see if I get similar issues.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Hmmmm..... Very unusual, we have not seen this lag in Europe (or similar) maps. Some changes we made in Update 2 might cause a slightly longer 'end of day' delay (when the click hits 12:00), but I can't think of anything that would account for a mid-day delay.

The only other thing I can think of is that some sound cards / sound drivers get bogged down - muting the sound (CTRL-M) would be a test to see if this was the cause or note (if it is, then there might be a couple of possible solutions using registry key files).

If it's not that, then I'm not sure, but I'd sure like to find out - see if it happens on other maps, etc

- George.
Arac
Sergeant

Post by Arac »

I tried the sound thing already and that's not it. Unfortunately, there's no other map really comparable to Europe, which in kind've a world-lite with masses of units and a lot of AI countries.

Smaller maps don't seem to suffer the problem, though. I just played the US continental map as West US, immediately attacked by the NE and SE, no problems at all.

Shintai's right on the money with that 5 o'clock figure, that's the biggest stutter. There's definitely no specific processing going on at that tick?

Edit: Alright, just for giggles, I loaded up the World scenario as Europe then declared war on Russia, Africa and the US. I experienced nothing even close to what I've been experiencing on the Europe map even during heavy combat. Whatever it is, it's specific to that scenario and was introduced with update 2. It's independent of graphics processing (the slowdown occurs even if I can't see any of the fighting).

If there's anything else you can think of I can tell you to help you track it down, give me a shout.
Shintai
Warrant Officer

Post by Shintai »

Mute the sound or change gfx etc doesnt change it.

I run on windows x64, everything is perfect and I can´t see the units due to no sight. So I doubt it´s gfx related.

The germany vs all it´s neighbours actually runs fine in the start. The huge lag starts slowly as germany gets pushed back and looses own land and get smaller and smaller. maybe it happends when the Ai can´t reach an area? Like if poland cuts of the czechs from fighting the germans?

I have an amd64 3800, 2GB memory and an x800XL card. Shouldn´t be any need there.
Viperace
Lieutenant

Post by Viperace »

Hey guysss,

I noticed that u guys got good gaming machine, i m wondering if u guys experienced the "icon SPINNING too fast" problem ??

How do u solve that, thanks...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

The spin of the images is not currenlty limited but goes at your frame rate. There have been some requests to change this and we will look to do this in a future update. Nothing yet, sorry.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Arac
Sergeant

Post by Arac »

Just to clarify, by 5 o'clock, I mean between 10:00-12:00. Sorry if that caused any confusion.

So, no ideas what's going on?

Noone else experiencing this problem on the Europe map?
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

We'll try to duplicate it here with a few different systems and see if we can find what might be your problem. Questions: does it happen every time you start the Europe map? and does it happen before the shooting starts?

-- George.
Arac
Sergeant

Post by Arac »

I started a new Europe scenario to try this, and yes, it seems to occur every time. There's definitely no problem prior to war being declared and the problem starts slowly after that, with the duration of the lag increasing as the war continues.
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

Soemthing i experienced

I palyed the Europe map to, no problems there, even in heavy combat! (switzerland, poland, france all agnged up against germany, an dtheUK did something to. ukraine and greece got at it...)

But in the wolr dmap i played as North america and i did have a huge lag there. I only had 190 units on the map, no wars were declared yet. And still i scrolled around the map stutterly (something like you jump hex from hex), i could zoom in an dout easily no lag there, but moving the screen around got the lag.

Also when i hit pause the lag did NOT occur, i could look all throughout the entire map with no lag at all.

One mroe thing, I tried to watch my reserves, somehow i have 7200 units in reserve. But the game utterly froze on me there! It took half a minute then a bunch of units appeared, then it froze again and this repeated itself. i could not scroll through the list (no getting rid of my basic arty) untill i had enough of it and tried to close the window, this took about 20 seconds and then tehgame was a happy camper again. i think i did not pause the game that time...

As far as comp specs go, AMD athlon 3000+ 9600XT 128 MB vid card and 512MB DDR RAM.

But as far as i have seen it wasnt a graph issue

Return to “General Discussion”