Demo Multiplayer Help

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Atomic_Ayatollah
Sergeant

Demo Multiplayer Help

Post by Atomic_Ayatollah »

Hi,

I had trouble playing a multiplayer game (demo version) last night with my friend. I was wondering if anyone can help?

We both have Windows XP SP2 and unblocked the processes that we were prompted with. We both turned our windows firewalls off. We are both using wireless networks (both have Netgear DG834G routers). The internet was definiately working as we were talking over Skype at the same time and could browse the net too. Neither of us have trouble with other online games but haven't tried a direct IP game before. I checked my IP address at www.whatismyip.com.

When in the demo I went to 'multiplayer' and hosted a game. And interestingly the IP address given was different to the one I got from the website and I think it is my LAN IP address and my friend's IP address was also different. Then while I was setting up the hosted multiplayer game my friend tried searching for my IP game but nothing came up on the list. There wasn't any feedback saying whether it had started the search etc. We waited a couple of minutes each time we tried, is this long enough?

Thanks for your help,

Ollie
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Even if you have your firewall turned off if you are behind a router and you are attempting to host the game you could see problems connecting. The readme that came with the demo has more details on connecting MP games. Give that a read and let us know if you have more difficulty.
Atomic_Ayatollah
Sergeant

Thank you for your reply.

I did look at the readme but this is all it says:

== Multiplayer ==

Supreme Ruler 2010 uses Microsoft's DirectPlay for LAN and Internet play.
As with all DirectPlay games, there may be issues with certain firewalls, routers, NATS, and internet security programs.

Internet Firewall programs such as "Zone Alarm" can conflict with many Multi-Player games such as SR2010.
Work-arounds and suggestions are posted on our forum : www.bgforums.com

The Windows XP Service Pack 2 includes an Internet Firewall feature that requires Supreme Ruler 2010 and DirectPlay to be 'Unblocked' and given access to the internet. A popup will appear BEHIND the game when you first try to connect Multiplayer; Alt-TAB (or quit) and select Unblock/Allow, and for future games the MultiPlayer should function properly.

When playing with other players each copy of Supreme Ruler 2010 must be the same version.
Updating to the newest patch by each player will ensure compatibility.
The Demo Version is only compatible playing with other players running the Demo Version; it is not able to connect to Retail Version games.

-----------------------------------------------

We are using the same version of the Demo and we unblocked the popup windows. As far as I can tell I dont have "Zone Alarm". However I looked at my router and discovered the firewall rules. At the moment it is set to "block always". I can add my own rules but I dont know which ones to select. There are loads! I can take a screenshot to show you the list if you want? Is there anything else I can try or another way to play online? Your help is much appreciated,

Ollie
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

One of you will need to be in front of the router. I had to do this for my home system to be able to host. We can't provide support for playing the game through a router.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Atomic_Ayatollah
Sergeant

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what you mean by being infront of the router. Do you mean the internet connection goes through one of the network computers first? I understand that you can't give tech support for routers. Is there another means in which we can play online? If not with the demo then with the retail copy? We have both ordered our retail copies from the states. The strategy game 'Act Of War' uses quite a neat system for online hosting through (I think it is) Gamespy. The multiplayer demo is available if you want to look at the system they use.

Thanks again for your help,

Ollie
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

as you're set up now, you could likely join a game hosted by someone else. In front of the router means access to the internet without using the router. You need a real world IP address, not a 192.168.x.x value like most routers assign. A good first test is if you can ping the other person who will be the host.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Atomic_Ayatollah
Sergeant

Spot on! In game it said my IP was 192.168.x.x but when I checked online it was 84.9.x.x or something like that. I did try pinging my friend last night but they all timed out (he wasn't hosting at the time tho if that makes a difference) and I could ping websites fine such as the bbc.co.uk. I might have to give up with this because I dont think I can justify reorganising the house network (if my housemates lose their internet conenction I will be in big trouble :-) ) . I assume there is no other way at the moment to play online. Will there be in the future? Do other people with routers have as much trouble hosting games?

Thanks again for your help and take care,

Ollie
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

sadley, troubles like these playing games over routers is very common. Most games get around this by having dedicated servers, something that is not possible at this time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
target
Corporal

Re: Demo Multiplayer Help

Post by target »

Atomic_Ayatollah wrote:Hi,

I had trouble playing a multiplayer game (demo version) last night with my friend. I was wondering if anyone can help?

We both have Windows XP SP2 and unblocked the processes that we were prompted with. We both turned our windows firewalls off. We are both using wireless networks (both have Netgear DG834G routers). The internet was definiately working as we were talking over Skype at the same time and could browse the net too. Neither of us have trouble with other online games but haven't tried a direct IP game before. I checked my IP address at http://www.whatismyip.com.

When in the demo I went to 'multiplayer' and hosted a game. And interestingly the IP address given was different to the one I got from the website and I think it is my LAN IP address and my friend's IP address was also different. Then while I was setting up the hosted multiplayer game my friend tried searching for my IP game but nothing came up on the list. There wasn't any feedback saying whether it had started the search etc. We waited a couple of minutes each time we tried, is this long enough?

Thanks for your help,

Ollie

You can change your ip address and play online game without any interruption . After changing your ip address, use Ip-details.com to check whether it gets changed or not .

Return to “General Discussion”