SIngle Player

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

gord96
Corporal

Post by gord96 »

In the single player games, I noticed each scenario you fight in one region of the world. After you conquer a region do you keep moving on throughout the world our is that it for that scenario? Is there a global campaign? Just wondering. Thanks for your time.
Later
BattleGoat
General
Human: Yes

Post by BattleGoat »

In a Single Player Campaign, you pick the region in the World where you are going to start. If successful in the first scenario, then you now control all the regions from that first scenario and move up to the next level.

Example : (Assumes you win each scenario)
First Scenario - Battle for California

Second Scenario - Battle for Western United States (You are now all of California)

Third Scenario - Battle for US (You are now all of the Western US)

Fourth Scenario - Battle for World (You are now the US)

- OR

Fourth Scenario - Battle for North America (You are the US)

This is just a basic example of the "Quick" route to victory. There are side routes to a campaign that will also be available throughout.

Hope that helps...

- David
gord96
Corporal

Post by gord96 »

thanks very much...i get the idea now
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I’d also like to mention that we offer something (many things, actually...) that I believe no one else does. In David’s example, let’s say that you play the Second battle and you lose. You have failed to become Ruler of the West US. In most games this would be the end of the campaign. But here you would get the choice to continue the campaign by starting again from somewhere else. So you could start from Florida the second time and would get to the Third battle again, but this time you would be the East trying to conquer the West. I’ve looked over the campaign tree and I know that if a player looses some battles but not critical battles, it could take them 20 or more maps to reach the “world” battle but officially, they would not have lost the campaign. Sometimes I can barely wait to play our game :smile:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
gord96
Corporal

Post by gord96 »

This game sounds great....can hardly wait myself
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

How is the strength of the opposition in the world battle determined? Is it always the same? Are all the regions always unified?

Questions, always questions :razz:
At the moment its this and Republic: The Revolution on my wish-list, can't wait.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The world map will be a little different depending how you got there (anywhere from 6 to 16 players) and to keep things more balanced, at that level units will be fielded as Regiments as the smallest unit instead of Battalions... keeps the number of units managable...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

A fair enough answer, my point was more how did the AI develop BETWEEN STAGES, IE if I was playing as a sub-saharan nation that had suceeded in uniting sub-saharan Africa, how would that region be weighted in terms of the final "supreme ruler" secenario? How inferior would that nation be in relation to the region that had won the US or European battles? Not that you guys hadn't thought of that, simply, would it be a conceivably winnable scenario?

"edit- as SuperPower (sorry to go on about it) really failed in that respect of making the players decisions count against making, say, Belize's ability to rule the world unfeasible.

I kind of like the general SR scenario in terms of making sense of a desire to dominate your rivals, whereas most such games (few as they are) just assume a kind of bloodlust amongst players.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mewshkin on 2003-05-02 17:04 ]</font>
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

> The world map will be a little different depending how you got there.

Exactly how so? Or is that we should 'seek and find'? :wink: I sort of hope so, hoping that I'm on the in-list of beta-testers!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

To give you an example using Africa...

The player starts in South Africa and a couple scenarios later has conquered all of Africa. At this point the "campaign thread" would try and get player to start trying to take over Europe from the inside (starting over at a small region and working up until all of europe is conqured) or go for the world. If the player chose to go for the world, they would likely be in a very weak position but to balance it a little it might use a map of the world with 16 players so that some of the other continents are not yet under one unified leader. If the player deciced to start from inside Europe all of their "Africa" stuff is set aside while they work their way up in Europe. Once they have conqured Europe, they would be one of four players for the world. The other three players would be similar in size (don't want to give everything away). If the player was unsuccessful in his attempt to conquer Europe he would then player for the world as only Africa against nine other unified regions. So trying to win faster has more risks but faster gains. Taking the slower route makes for a generally easier game. Losses don't put you out of the game but do have consequences.

... wow, I really love our system :grin:
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Geta
Warrant Officer

Post by Geta »

Using the African scenario example, it sounds like this design means that the "empire" created by taking over all of Africa would not have any effect on the starting position of the player as he moved on to start conquering in Europe. It seems like basically the player is starting over in a new region. With nothing being carried forward. Is this the case?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

That has been the design but the campaign system is not yet completed. There was some thought of allowing the player to carry some "elite" units into the new scenario or some extra cash. It might also be possible to have a World Market effect of having another memeber always supporting you...?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

We take a bit of poetic license here because the outside stories change with what choice you make once you've taken Africa. If you decide then to try for the world, you will find out that other sub-regions have been progressing along the same lines and that there are now 16 major regions vying for world domination. (Of course you take your units and resources into the next battle with you.)

If on the other hand, you decide to work your way up through Europe before going for the world, then your units and resources stay in Africa awaiting your success in Europe. If you do manage to conquer Europe, then you will have your units and resources from Africa combined with your units and resources from Europe as you go into the final battle. Essentially just the story-line changed that the same kind of regional growth was not occuring in Europe as you built up Africa.

If you failed on the European Conquest, you would have the option of then attempting the world battle from just Africa (vs 15 other regions) or possibly seeing if you want to try and grow in South America instead.

As a side note, whenever you "Lose" a scenario, you will find that the Power Quality of the regions willing to offer you a chance to lead them will decrease.
Geta
Warrant Officer

Post by Geta »

Thanks, how this works seems more clear to me now. It will be interesting to experience how it plays out.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Seems a bit more friendly than losing a scenario and having to start again from scratch...

Return to “General Discussion”