...but its on the tip of my tongue.

Is there the option to use smaller nations as battlegrounds with larger nations

example Iran/Soviet v Iraq/USA
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Not really. :-?

Don't know how that would even work within the game engine...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

maybe by giving units to two smaller nations to test new units or to increase the presence of a major in the area. dunno :-?
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

proxy wars, I think. :-?
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

Well, if two nations ally, then one nation can send troops through the second nation to fight a third (and/or fourth) nation. I guess you could set up your scenario so that the USA and Iraq are allied, and the Soviet Uniion and Iran are allied. The two sides declare war on each other, and the massive US Army fights allied to the tiny Iraqi army against the tiny (or not so tiny) Iranian Army allied to the Massive Soviet Army. With alliances, your conflict could beomce very real. Don't know how you would get Iran, Iraq, THe Soviet Union, and the USA on the same map though...
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

Yes i am certain we could, but i was wondering about being able to fight little side wars with surrogates (SP).
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

One thing that happens quite often in our multiplayer test games is to use alliances as 'fronts' for wars - player A and B are at war, but player C gets involved by supplying/supporting player A. Since we allow trade of technology, units, even land, this is quite possible to do. Should things get bad, of course player C can get in to the fight in Player A's territory, while being at a safe distance themselves.

-- George.
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

That is it exactly George.

But how would you do this with the Computer? Is there an alliance that allows for tech, unit, and resource trading with out requiring you to be a full ally?

BTW can you support insurgents?
red
General

Post by red »

RCBricker wrote:But how would you do this with the Computer? Is there an alliance that allows for tech, unit, and resource trading with out requiring you to be a full ally?
Yes.
RCBricker wrote:BTW can you support insurgents?
Yes.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

RC judging by the diplomatic features available to view in the beta I would say that players will be able to support proxy wars.

It might be that proxy wars are less relevent with the game as it stands with 16/32 regions. I would imagine the greater number of smaller regions fighing the more the need for proxy wars.

Similar to this issue is the possibility of giving command of units to an ally. As far as I know players will be able to give/sell units without the personel. But fairly high on my wish list would be the ability to give or take command of an ally's units. And also buy 'control' of rebels as per the Afghan and Iraq operations.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Loaning units as a feature is not in the game... perhaps in the future you'll see it there.

On our wish list is the option to have certain diplomatic exchange offers have an expiry date... so this could be one way to give units to a player and set the expiry date a year away. Then you'll get them back... although this could cause all problems... and is still a wish list item.

Return to “General Discussion”