What features that didnt make the cut are you gonna miss ?

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

What features that didnt make the cut are you gonna miss ?

Post by tkobo »

For those of us who havent played the game-change the wording to "think your gonna miss".

For now,having no exp actually playing time with the game ,i think i will miss:

POWs

Unit Defection

Playing past the "end' of a scenario

Multi player campaigns

ECM -last post by devs seems to suggest this is not gonna make release.big one for me in my book.

weather- yes, i know i will be practically the only one who misses this-call me odd.

Ability for subs to intradict trade-this one is a BIG one for me.The lack of ability for any type of armed forces intradiction of a foes trade is a big dissappointment for me.

The ability to make a capture the flag scenario- this is prob the one i will miss the most.

World market votes- it seems that this might not make it into the release either.Another big one for me.Probably tied for number one or number 2 in my book.

These are not in any specific order.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
George Geczy
General

Re: What features that didnt make the cut are you gonna miss

Post by George Geczy »

>"The ability to make a capture the flag scenario- this is prob the one i will miss the most."

Actually, we do offer two victory modes that are very close to this in our "Missions" - "Kill the HQ Unit", and "Capture the Victory Hex". The latter requires you to capture or travel to the hex with your own HQ unit, and if you lose your HQ then you lose the Mission.

Unfortunately we won't get a chance with the release to include missions that take advantage of these modes, but we'll be releasing some in the future as downloads. And of course players can make their own if the brave the Scenario Editor.

Regarding the subs/interdiction issue, it would be an entirely new and significant element to add Merchant trade to the engine - there is already so much to look at and control, the addition of sea (and even land/air) merchant/supply trade would be a huge new element for the player's attention. Especially since, as is our style, we would want to simulate this accurately, not simply an abstract 'caravan' model or anything.

-- George.
dust off
General

Post by dust off »

tkobo wrote that he is going to miss:
does this mean that there is not going to be an open ended style of play??
weather
I'd miss a night day cycle more than weather as I think an argument can be made that in recent conflicts superiority in night vision gear has played a significant part in the outcome of tactical engagements.

I'm going to miss unit leaders, and formations the most.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

dust off wrote:tkobo wrote that he is going to miss:
does this mean that there is not going to be an open ended style of play??

This qoute seems to say that is now the case.
Balthagor wrote:The current game mechanics are that a scenario ends when all other regions are eliminated. I heard George and David discussing allied victories but didn't follow the conversation.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

I will miss weather as it is extremely important to a number of military considerations.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Weather was looked at but we decided it would be more important when doing a WWII simulation. It has far less impact than it once did. As for the open ended play, I'm not really sure what ppl are looking for here. You can still play a single scenario with AI set easy and WM set to passive and a "total victory" goal. With this, I don't see the game ending until the player decides to end it. Just don't eliminate everyone else...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
RCBricker
Captain

Post by RCBricker »

I agree that weather doesn't hold the field of battle as much as it did, but it is still a heavy contributor to the planning of missions.

Amphibious landings can and will still be called off based on weather

Paratroopers are jumping in really bad weather

Extreme weather (cold, storms, or heat) can have a drastic affect on the combat ability of equipment and soldiers (esp morale - ever sat in a fox hole in the rain? I haven't but I have done HAzmat work in a downpour in San Fran area back in Jan of 99 and it sucked, a lot)

Not sure about anyone here but I wouldn't wanna dog fight or recon or bomb in storms either especially if they are real bad, like lets say bombing Washington, DC during a hurricane or tropical depression.

Same theory not going to be alot of naval maneuvers during a extreme weather either.

So I understand why it would be more of a porblem during earlier eras, just don't think it should have been cut esp. in lew of the turmoil already confronting our soldiers in game.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

I know I will miss ECM in the retail version and hope that future upgrades will add this feature to the game.

Actually Im quite surprised that ECM has been neglected for that long since it has been around for quite a while(the ECM units already have the icon).
prime_642
Captain

Post by prime_642 »

I'll actually miss unit heirarchy the most. No, I really don't blame the devs for not putting it in. It would require an insane amount of work, but still, I really don't want to have to control my forces by individual battalions, expecially if i play as all of Germany and have perhaps a thousand. The only thing that really mitigates this is the strategic command options, putting up AI control to 100 and letting it rip, which would allow a human player to fight on multiple fronts against other human players without being destroyed instantly. That lone human player would still get destroyed eventually, but if they check back and help out their AI occasionally, they might be able to hold out.
Robot_Of_War
Sergeant

Post by Robot_Of_War »

I honestly don't think I'll miss anything. I much prefer a more polished game over one that has tons of features, and I think just reminding people of Moo3 should be all the evidence needed.

Besides, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the beta, which is missing a lot of features that will be present in the retail version. The only time that I'll probably miss them is after I've played the game to death in a few months, and by that time they just might show up via a patch or two.
Juergen
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Juergen »

"As you can probably tell from our recent blog entries, a lot of discussion and debate is spent around here on the topic of just what really needs to be in Supreme Ruler 2010 in order for us to be ready to “go gold”.

Why not discuss this in the forum?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Mostly because there is never enough time to do everything and forum discussions would take too long.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
battlemode
Sergeant

Post by battlemode »

Balthagor wrote:Weather was looked at but we decided it would be more important when doing a WWII simulation. It has far less impact than it once did. As for the open ended play, I'm not really sure what ppl are looking for here. You can still play a single scenario with AI set easy and WM set to passive and a "total victory" goal. With this, I don't see the game ending until the player decides to end it. Just don't eliminate everyone else...
Sorry to say this, but weather STILL plays a big part in planning modern air operations and other types of combat.

Quoted from the website below:

WEATHER ANALYSIS

Air operations are especially susceptible to the effects of weather. Weather analysis for air operations considers the same factors as ground operations. Theses factors are--

* Visibility. Visibility has a significant impact on air operations, reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.

* High winds. High winds will hinder maneuver, CAS, and target engagement, especially in tight mobility corridors.

* Precipitation. Precipitation affects air system performance and reduces the effectiveness of radars.

* Cloud cover and ceilings. Clouds may restrict operations by setting low operational ceilings and restricting visibility and target engagement.

* Extreme temperatures and humidity. Temperature has a severe effect on air systems by decreasing combat range and altitude (particularly RW aircraft).

http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/lib ... 5/Appc.htm
battlemode
Sergeant

Post by battlemode »

For more information regarding the effects of the Middle East weather and terrain on modern weapons systems check the website below:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... 95/AAR.htm
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

As much of an effect as it may have, it's just not part of the game engine.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “General Discussion”