Like to know something about SR 2010 2?

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

icet
Warrant Officer

Like to know something about SR 2010 2?

Post by icet »

I honestly believe it's hard to compare our game to Superpowers for the same reason that it's hard to compare us to Command and Conquer. We work a scale up from a C&C game as for the area we model, Superpowers seems to be targeting one level higher still. Each level, location vs. region vs. world, creates a very different style of play.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

It seems that SR 2010 is going to be a superb game and I have made up my mind to buy it. As you stated in this message "We work a scale up from a C&C game as for the area we model, Superpowers seems to be targeting one level higher still.". So if SR2010 is a great success I understand that like everyone naturally you will like to make SR2010 2. I know that its stupid for me to ask at this time from you about SR2010 2 since you might not even thought of that, but I am very curious about your title. So for example if you pursue to make SR2010 2, would you be making that game on the Superpowers scale, i.e. one level higher still. What you think please let me know. Thanks

Icet

To be honest SP2 has greately disappointed me and now my only beacon of hope for such games is your company.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Currently there are some ideas floating around for a sequel. The most likely scenario would be a historic style game. I think someone mentioned a WWII version in the off topic section...?

As you might expect, our focus for now remains on just getting the first version completed ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
icet
Warrant Officer

Yeah completion of first version sure is a priority, however

Post by icet »

Dear Chris Latour,

Thanks for your reply. I am really impressed by your quick replies to the fans. While completion of the first version sure is a priority, I think exchange of ideas is also important as it costs nothing and can contribute something. lol. About World War II scenarios, dont you think that there are already a lot lot of games available? I dont think that we should harp the same string. Historical games are a plenty. I think the next game should be based on the present day/near future scenario. It should have a complete real present day world map. The SP theme but of your own style. Since they have not been able to tap the potential, why not us? The failure of SP2 has caused a vacum which can be successfully fulfilled by you as I have confidence that your current game will be a huge success and it would thereafter be easier for you to move further. As to the name you can just consider the Simcity series. SimCity 2000, SimCity 3000, and then suddenly SimCity 4! So the name of your next game could simply be "SUPREME RULER 2". How about that? :D
Son of Moose
Colonel

Post by Son of Moose »

Perhaps SR2010 on a smaller (and more detailed) scale. Perhaps use the scale employed in C and C: Generals but with the challenge and complexity of SR2010!! :D

Sure ... you might have to use HUGE maps in order to be able to play a region. However, this should be feasible for computers endowed with a fair amount of memory. THis, imho, would be a mouth-watering prospect!!!! 8)
herr neumann
Captain

Post by herr neumann »

I would still like to have SR 1936 (or however you call it) - that is a WW2 game - as Battlegoat's next game. I even look forward to it more than to current title. I don't think that WW2 has been simulated in a way SR does (Hearts Of Iron is close but different).
But discussing it now is like trying to jump over your own shadow I guess.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Yeah, I too would like to see WWII done with the Supreme Ruler engine, as you say HOI does a bit of this but not on the same "tactical warfare" strategy level. So that is a definite possibility.

It would also be cool to see Supreme Ruler 2010 with a 'small hex size whole world' approach, where you could play the entire world tactically at a 10km hex size with full zoom in/zoom out. However, just the gameplay and user interface issues would be huge - how do you keep a map with 8 million hexes playable? Thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of units? In a large region you would have to be able to hand off entire sections of the world for 'regional governors' to run for you, etc. And of course the technical issues, though with growing hardware specs they might not be impossible.

Yeah, we better finish SR2010 "I" before starting on "II" :-)

-- George.
Son of Moose
Colonel

Post by Son of Moose »

George:
how do you keep a map with 8 million hexes playable? Thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of units?
Yes --- at TODAY'S technical specifications, it might prove to be a bit of a handful on even a mid-range computer. :-?

However, when one applies Moore's Law, it should most (hopefully) probably not present a major problem a couple of years down the line. :)

As I might have said here before (most DEFINITELY in the CotN forum), the original Age of Empires is still one of my favourite basic RTS games. It was certainly (r)evolutionary in its day (c1997) and featured HUGE maps by the standard of the day. :D However, 7 years on, while it is still a wonderful game to play, those originally huge maps are now really pretty small and the SP population cap of 50 is just rediculous. :cry:

Perhaps you might be able to see my analogy wrt SR2010. The take-home message is as follows:

# Today's cutting edge technology will be obsolete within a few years.

Therefore, if you (quite rightly) wish to ensure that SR2010 enjoys a really long shelf-life, you must allow for these inevitable technological advances right at the onset of the game development process.

Maybe it might just be a good idea to "play around" with this concept (when you have a few spare minutes :o ) as an option for the future SR2010 expansion pack. :D
icet
Warrant Officer

Move forward not backward

Post by icet »

George Geczy wrote:Yeah, I too would like to see WWII done with the Supreme Ruler engine, as you say HOI does a bit of this but not on the same "tactical warfare" strategy level. So that is a definite possibility.

It would also be cool to see Supreme Ruler 2010 with a 'small hex size whole world' approach, where you could play the entire world tactically at a 10km hex size with full zoom in/zoom out. However, just the gameplay and user interface issues would be huge - how do you keep a map with 8 million hexes playable? Thousands (maybe even tens of thousands) of units? In a large region you would have to be able to hand off entire sections of the world for 'regional governors' to run for you, etc. And of course the technical issues, though with growing hardware specs they might not be impossible.

Yeah, we better finish SR2010 "I" before starting on "II" :-)

- George.

Dear George,

While you may better understand the technical points of your game, i.e. engine and other things, I am of the opinion that instead of moving back you should move forward. When you are still working on a game based on the future i.e. 2010, then why are you going back to 1945? You must be knowing that there is no shortage of WWII games, however, a present day Game is very scarce and demanding. In my opinion, a present day SUPREME RULER 2 would be better although there would be some hard work for you to do but it would certainly be a click. In the other case keep sticking to the 2010 theme i.e. SUPREME RULER 2010 2, or SUPREME RULER 2020, but dont go back please. Or if you wish you can release a WWII game with some other name but dont create a WWII game in SR series please. And if you do make a WWII game with some other name I wish it would have a similar type of map and real time as that of HOI. What you say? :)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This is a request that we will have a hard time filling. I believe almost every member of our team is interested in a more historical version. We do also have ideas for versions that move into future story lines but if we left a WWII version out of the SR series, I think we would feel something was missing. It's a safe bet that if we want to play it, we'll probably make it :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Son of Moose
Colonel

Post by Son of Moose »

George:

How about my earlier suggestion of SR20 ... set in the Ancient World and using a much smaller scale (which would seem to be a fairly advisable prerequisite)?

I would imagine such a game (based on the current SR2010 gameplay) would put Rome: Total War in the shade. :D
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Balthagor wrote:This is a request that we will have a hard time filling. I believe almost every member of our team is interested in a more historical version. We do also have ideas for versions that move into future story lines but if we left a WWII version out of the SR series, I think we would feel something was missing. It's a safe bet that if we want to play it, we'll probably make it :)

WWII.... excellent :/.
You will however need to model weather as in that day and age... weather was rather important.
Missiles!! Nukes!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Yes, weather will certain be added to the engine for any WWII campaigns.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
icet
Warrant Officer

So what could be the name of this WWII game?

Post by icet »

Hi,

It would be nice if you make an addictive game, it doesnt matter of what time era. What you think would be the name of that game; SUPREME RULER 2?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

No decision on what the name would be. We'll worry about that later.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

From what I saw, SR2010 seems to have so much potential as a framework for all kinds of mods, period-oriented sequels, fantastic scenarios... That will probably the first thing following, and I'll be happy to see this develop :)
Big stuff from K5

Return to “General Discussion”