Enhanced Spotting and Weapon Ranges

For general talk about Supreme Ruler 2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Tnarg23
Private

Enhanced Spotting and Weapon Ranges

Post by Tnarg23 »

Hello, I am trying to figure out the Enhanced Spotting and Weapon Range options in the game set up window. I am looking to start a game using the WWIV mod and noticed that there is a significant difference between the not using them and using the option.

My big question is how combat really works? I am wanting to use the non enhanced option as I feel it is more realistic but I am curious as to how combat works in the 35km hex size? Say for example a I have tank with a attack range of 2km versus on with 1km, or a adding a howitzer to the mix with a range of 15km, will those units with higher ranges be able to attack first even though they all fit in the same hex of 35km, and will they be more likely to not take damage because they are further away?

I understand the advantage of using the enhanced spotting and weapon ranges as it allows longer range units to attack from another hex. Just curious how combat and spotting takes place in a 35km sized hex with so many units with varying ranges under 35km?

I appreciate any insight to this question.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Enhanced Spotting and Weapon Ranges

Post by Balthagor »

As long as it reaches the hex there is no difference. At 35km/hex 1km, 2km or 10km attack ranges have the same effect. The enhanced ranges are to help the "feel" since there is a limitation of modeling accuracy at a higher km/hex (hence, SR2020, 16km/hex :) )
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
AEWHistory
Lieutenant

Post by AEWHistory »

Okay, I need to resurrect this topic because I am either a) dense, b) this is unclear, or c) both.

As I understand it, the setting for enhanced range and spotting switches hex "width" between 16 and 35km. Is that correct? Here is the part that is a problem for me.... which is the "enhancement?" In other words, if the setting is on, are the hexes 16km, and if you click it off they're 35km, or is it the other way around? Or am I just way off here....

On a similar note, this is something that would be nice to add to either a tooltips, a FAQ, or something of that nature. There are alot of features to this game--nice stuff that makes for an excellent game as well as simulation--but it makes it difficult to figure out the meaning of certain items without an inordinate amount of effort. At this point I wouldn't bother with adding much to this game, but if a sequel is done, this would be very nice.

-AEWHistory/Aaron
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

AEWHistory wrote:As I understand it, the setting for enhanced range and spotting switches hex "width" between 16 and 35km. Is that correct?...
no, when the setting is on (default) we artificially increase the ranges of spotting/firing from what is listed in the equipment database. Off is real world ranges but we found in gameplay that enhanced worked better.

That is true for both SR2010 and SR2020.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

I prefer enhanced off personally... ranges seem to hold more bearing..talking others into playing with it off in MP is the problem :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace

Return to “General Discussion”